Thursday, February 17, 2011

Runzas

When I was growing up my dad used to take us to Cabella's in Nebraska once in a while. As a special treat we'd go across the street and grab some Runzas for lunch before the long drive home. Yum! I don't know if I would have appreciated them as much if I'd known how easy they were to cook..

I made these last week sometime (don't ask me to remember actual dates please). I didn't have cabbage, but I got two heads of salad savoy in my Bountiful Basket the week before so I used one of those instead. (A little bit milder tasting than cabbage but still excellent, in my opinion.)

Runzas

1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
4 cups chopped cabbage
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 recipe bread dough of your choice (also works fine with frozen/defrosted rolls)
8 slices Swiss, Mozzarella or Provolone cheese

Brown beef and onion in skillet. Add cabbage and cover. Cook 5 minutes until cabbage is tender crisp. Drain off liquid. Add salt and pepper and mix well. Cool in refrigerator while making dough.

Roll dough out to form two *12x14-inch rectangles. Cut the rectangles into 8 squares each. Place about 1/4-1/2 cup of meat-cabbage mixture in the middle of 8 of the squares. Moisten edges of squares with water. Top with sliced cheese and remaining squares of dough. Press dough firmly around the edges.


Place on greased baking sheets. Cover lightly with a clean dish towel. Let rise about 30 minutes or until light. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes.

* the dough will be thin- if you like a thicker bread taste, roll just one rectangle about twice as thick for half as many finished runzas. Also, unless you've got somebody with OCD in your family.. don't worry if your Runzas are oddly shaped. I didn't! ;)


1 comment:

Veronica Bartles said...

My friend, Susie, told me yesterday that she made your Runzas for dinner on Tuesday. Her son (who is autistic with lots of sensory issues, and thus a VERY picky eater) actually ate a SECOND SERVING!!! She told me to tell you this recipe is definitely a keeper!!