Saturday, August 07, 2010

Mangoes! Mango Peach Salsa, Mango Smoothie

I don't like Mangoes... well... I used to not like mangoes. Turns out I've just been eating them wrong all these years. For example, I've just recently been using them in salsa... and smoothies! YUM! We had mangoes in our BB for a couple weeks in a row. The first week I made some pineapple mango salsa with one and froze the other. Last week I ended up with 3 mangoes in our basket. I turned two of them (plus the one I put into the freezer) into this delicious smoothie. Wow! yum, etc.. it's really good. Sorry no picture here.. I can never keep it in the glass long enough to snap one ;)

Pineapple Mango Smoothie

1 cup frozen mangoes
1 cup frozen pineapple
1 peach (not necessary to peel)
1 plum
1 banana
1 cup frozen cantaloupe
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
8 oz cold water

Place soft fruit on the bottom of the blender followed by frozen fruit. Add protein powder and water, blend and enjoy!

I like using about half frozen fruit and half fresh. This keeps me from having to add ice making the smoothie less potent (imo). It also makes it so I can use less liquid for it to blend properly. I've added other fruit to this also, like watermelon which was fantastic!

When I made my Pineapple Mango Salsa a little while back my dear husband told me "I think this needs more tomatoes" to which I responded, "That would make sense seeing as I didn't use any tomatoes in this!" So this one is for you Mike!

Peach Mango Salsa

1 mango
2 tomatoes
2 peaches
1/2 bunch cilantro (about 1 cup chopped)
1 red onion
3 cloves garlic
1 large bell pepper
2 jalepenos (or banana peppers if you'd like to keep it mild)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt (optional)

Dice all vegetables and fruit. Add vinegar and salt if desired. Combine and enjoy!

No comments: