Monday, August 23, 2010

Sugar Lime Cookies

My Mellissa is so cute (my 3 year old). Every morning she wakes up and as she is walking down the stairs with the cutest little smile on her face she says, "Hi mommy! What are we making today?" A few days ago the answer to that question was sugar cookies.


Sugar cookies have always been and will always be my favorite. But not just any sugar cookie. It needs to be soft and moist with just the right amount of frosting (the frosting also must be either sour cream or cream cheese frosting- nothing else will do). For this cookie I experimented a little with a couple limes I had hanging around in my refrigerator. 

Sugar Lime Cookie

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dry powdered NF milk
3 eggs
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
zest from two limes

Cream together butter, sugar and dry milk. Add eggs and mix until smooth. Grate the zest from the limes directly into the mixing bowl. Add salt and soda. Mix thoroughly. Add flour 1 cup at a time while slowly mixing until all the flour is incorporated. At this point you can cover bowl and refrigerate dough for about 2 hours so you can roll it out or do as I do and just drop dough by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with the back of your spoon or with a fork. Bake at 375 F for 8 minutes. Allow to cool and then frost if desired.
Sour Cream Lime Frosting

juice from 2 limes
1 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
3-5 cups powdered sugar
(I like my frosting more like a glaze so I use less sugar)

Combine lime juice, butter and sour cream in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until you reach desired consistency. Refrigerate leftover frosting for later use.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

I made these cookies again using 2 Tbsp pulp from juicing limes instead of the zest and they turned out great!