Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Zucchini Brownies

"Zucchini in brownies! Gross mom!"


The words of my 15-year old son when he saw me sneaking 2 cups of shredded zucchini into my brownie bowl. But I went ahead with my plan anyway. After they came out of the oven ...
"These are amazing!" (Ha! told ya so!)

Zucchini Brownies

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 cups brownie mix
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


For the frosting:
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. In a large bowl, mix together the brownie mix, oil, eggs, baking soda and zucchini vanilla until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched. My brownies were done in 28 minutes. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares. I actually cut my brownies first so the frosting would goop over the sides when serving. Not as neat, but I love that effect!

3 comments:

kstrack said...

I love chocolate zucchini bread, brownies & cake! I should try it with some of my summer squash that I have too much of this year! and not enough get going to cook every night like I did last year! :)

Sheryl said...

I'm going to try it for you. I'll let you know how it turns out! :)

Miss Melanie said...

I have an amazing chocolate zucchini cake recipe on my blog...lots of people asked me for the recipe and it calls for 3 cups I think of zucchini. YUM YUM!