Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Very Own Bountiful Basket

All Summer long I've been waiting for the week when I didn't have to actually buy produce and could just go pick it from my garden. For at least the last month I've kept saying, "Maybe next week.." And now the next week is finally here! My garden is finally starting to feed us. What a weird season we've had this year! I have to say, though, it was totally strange not to go online last night and order my basket from http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/.
So today in my "basket" I got

8 lb tomatoes
1 cantaloupe
1 lb tomatillos
1 lb anaheim peppers
6 large bell peppers
2 dozen jalapenos
1 dozen onions
1 lb carrots
3 lb potatoes
2 lb green beans
handful of rasberries
handful of strawberries
3 bulbs garlic
1/2 lb yellow pear tomatoes
3 zucchini
1 monster zucchini (whoops!)
3 white scallop squash
2 yellow scallop squash
2 pumpkins
1 lb chard

And don't worry, there's PLENTY more where that came from! So this week I will be making: Stuffed Zucchini, Fajitas, Zucchini Lasagna, tomatillo salsa, tomato salsa (for canning), Cuevish, Minestrone soup... and we'll see from there!

Soy beans.. not ready yet but I'm anxious to try them!
Whoops! Sometimes these guys are so perfectly camoflauged they get missed when I'm doing my daily garden pick. Oh well, this will still be great as a stuffed zucchini..
Later this week I also want to start adding some more budgeting tips. I have lots of really great charts and tables that are really helpful for planning your menu and your budget. I just need to figure out a pdf document and I'll be all set!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow, what a garden, you have been very busy tending that. My friends Krista gave me your blog and I'm glad she did, everything looks yummy.

Jaci said...

how did you keep the deer out? they have eaten every tomato from mine that isnt bright green. so sad.

Sheryl said...

Jaci, as far as deer are concerned I'm really a pacifist. I love deer! So my solution to the deer "problem" is to plant extra for them too! Lucky for me I have a big enough garden that I can do that, but I always plant at least 2-3 more plants than what I need so I can be sure to get a good harvest. But I know people who have used things like cayote urine (yes... you can actually buy the stuff!) around the perimeter of the garden with good results. Most gardening stores carry it or something similar.

Sheryl said...

Oh! and as for the extra plants I usually always make sure they are cherry tomatoes. The deer seem to LOVE them and stay away from the rest of my plants. I plant one on each end of my garden so they get eaten first.