Friday, August 20, 2010

German Chocolate Cake Mix TIMES SIX!!!

Yes... what you heard about me is true. Sometimes I DO use a mix from a box...

So every Friday at Mike's work is treat day. They all take turns bringing enough treats for everybody and today is Mike's day. No problem, treats are my specialty! I asked him what he wanted to bring and he tells me: Cream Cheese Nut Cake. Ok... that means a trip to the store... in the pouring rain... No... problem.
So I get home and start working on putting everything together. I was working on the cream cheese mixture and my 15-year-old says he wants to mix the cake part. Awesome! Naturally I needed to make a double batch which requires two cake mixes so I reminded him a couple of times to double the ingredients as he's mixing the batter. Now time for the final stir to check his work... Wow! His cake batter was a bowl full of oily goop! So I ask him "How much oil did you put into this??" To which he replies: "3 cups. I doubled it just like you said."
No!
Problem....
The doubled amount of oil should have been 1 cup. He'd read it wrong and thought the box said 1 1/2 cups instead of 1/2 cup... So to fix the problem I had to haul up another FOUR cake mixes from downstairs, not to mention my GIANT mixing bowl. I then set out to bake for the rest of my day. Lucky me. Or more approprietly, lucky family! At first I had thought to try out a few different recipes with my gallons of cake batter... but after 4 cakes and a sheet of cupcakes I turned the rest into plain ol' cake to be frozen for later use.
Here's a run down of what I made:
Cake #1 (and #2)
It was on the back of the box, so of course I had to try it. They look really good, but I haven't actually tasted them yet. I'm trying to decide right now if I should just give them away instead of cutting into them. I mean, ugh, every bite of that monster equals about 2 dozen sit-ups and a 45 minute run. In fact, I didn't even dare take a picture of the beast! (Maybe I will before I give it away... we'll see what happens.)
In case you can't read my blurry picture, here's the recipe for the Better Than Almost Anything Cake:

1 German Chocolate Cake mix, with eggs, water and oil called for on box
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 16 oz jar caramel or butterscotch topping  (I didn't use this. I didn't have any and frankly I assumed I had enough sugar in this thing already)
1 container Fluffly White Frosting (I made my own) or
  1 8 oz tub of frozen whipped topping, thawed (3 cups)
1 cup toffee chips or bits

Heat oven to 350 F (325 for dark or nonstick pan). Bake cake as directed in a 13x9 inch pan. Cool 15 minutes. Poke cake every 1/2 inch with the top of a wooden spoon. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over top of cake. Let stand until milk has absorbed into cake. Drizzle with caramel topping. Refrigerate 2 hours until cake is chilled. Spread frosting over top of cake. Sprinkle with toffee chips. Store covered in refrigerator.

Cake # 3

Peanut Butter Cake

1 German Chocolate Cake mix with eggs, water, and oil called for on box
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare cake mix as directed on box. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Pour cake batter into pan. Now in a seperate bowl mix peanut butter, sugar, egg and 1 cup chocolate chips. Glob peanut butter mixture evenly over cake. Without touching the bottom of the pan, swirl a butter knife through each blob of peanut butter to distribute it throughout the cake. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and nuts on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely and cut into squares.

Cake #4

Cream Cheese Cake

1 German Chocolate cake mix with eggs, water, and oil called for on box

1 egg
1 cup chocolate chips
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare cake mix as directed on box. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Pour cake batter into pan. Now in a seperate bowl mix cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, egg and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Glob mixture evenly over cake. Without touching the bottom of the pan, swirl a butter knife through each glob to distribute it throughout the cake. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and nuts on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely and cut into squares.

Cream Cheese Cupcakes Cupcakes

Meh, I'm tired of writing... read the above recipe. Grease a muffin tin. Fill each cup 1/3 full with cake mix. Drop cream cheese mixture by tablespoonful on top of cake mix. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips.

The remaining cake batter turned into three 9 inch cake rounds and three 3 inch cake rounds. I let them cool, wrapped them in plastic wrap and slipped them into freezer bags then deposited them into the freezer for upcoming birthdays. The end... now to finish cleaning my kitchen....

No comments: