Friday, November 25, 2011

Crack N' Chili

I have a son who doesn't like tomatoes. I know it's a little unnatural and up until a year ago I kept hoping he'd grow out of it. He's sixteen now so I'm not so sure there's hope for tomatoes... Anyway, every once in a while I like to indulge my children and so I created this chili recipe without a single tomato on board. (Although if you're really missing them you can add some diced tomatoes on top when serving.) Sorry no pictures! I've made this recipe several times in the last few weeks and each time I've made it my camera has been out of batteries.

This stuff is so addicting we dubbed it Crack N' Chili. And yes, don't worry. It's perfectly legal.

Crack N' Chili

1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 Anaheim chilies, chopped*
1 cup onion, chopped
1 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika (regular will work too if you have it)
3/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp red chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 1/3 cup milk
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
4 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans
1 (15 oz.) can small red chili beans

1. Melt butter in a 5 qt. Dutch Oven over medium heat. 
2. Add vegetables and saute until tender-crisp. 
3. Add seasonings and cook 1 minute to extract flavor. 
4. Combine 1/3 cup milk with cornstarch and add to vegetables. Stir until vegetables are coated and quickly add remaining milk.
5. Stir constantly until mixture thickens, about the consistency of gravy. Slowly add shredded cheese and stir until completely melted. 
6. Add undrained beans and heat through. If you're like me and do most of your cooking during the day, at this point you can transfer everything to your slow cooker to keep it warm from afternoon to evening.
You can also add shredded pork or chicken if you like. Also top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, a dollop of sour cream and some chives to dress this up.

*If you don't have fresh peppers you can substitute 2 (4 oz) cans of diced chilis when you add the beans

No comments: