Monday, September 27, 2010

Eggs in a Basket

This is a fun thing that my dad used to make a lot when I was a kid. He would cut a hole out of a piece of bread with a biscuit cutter and crack an egg into the center while the bread was toasting on a griddle. My brother-in-law uses this method:

Eggs in a Basket

Pancakes:
   2 cups All-Purpose Baking Mix
   1 egg
   1 1/4 cup milk or water

12 eggs
Pam Cooking Spray

Heat griddle to medium-hot (about 350). Combine all ingredients for pancakes; stirring just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray and crack egg onto griddle. Ladel pancake mix all around outside of egg. Turn when bubbles appear on the surface of the cakes, taking care when flipping not to break the egg. Cook until well-browned. Makes 12-16 "baskets". Serve with warm maple syrup. (The real stuff, not the maple flavored sugar...)

1 comment:

Traccie said...

That looks fun. I am sure my kids would love it. My mom used to do the toast and egg thing too. SHe called it "Toad in the Holes"