Friday, September 03, 2010

My Brand New Room

This is a little bit overdue- I finally "finished" my bedroom last week! Mr. Sheryl was not super excited as he really truly does love plain ol' white and boring but we made a deal that if he still doesn't like our room in eight years, he can change it back. It's only fair, right? You remember my before picture?
My brother-in-law saw this picture and says: "Sure, you make the 'before' picture as awful as possible." But seriously... This picture had no prepping. I simply took a picture of my bedroom...

Ok, so it's not a luxury suite by any means but I'm happy with how it turned out. And to think I was able to get all of this done without an impact to our monthly budget. I siphoned money from our grocery envelope and fed us with cheaper meals and food storage for a month and viola! Well, that and spent HOURS putting it all together but that's not the point...
Here's a rundown of what I added and spent:

King-sized rag quilt: $6 for thread and some random fabric remnants,
a couple of old sheets that didn't fit my bed anyway,
an old blanket for "batting",
generous donation of fabric scrap remnants from my friend,
half a set of drapes that were too heavy for my window,
and countless hours cutting, sewing, seam-ripping, swearing, sewing, etc...

King-sized matching bedskirt: an old bottom sheet that didn't fit my super thick mattress,
half a set of drapes that were too heavy for my window,
about 45 minutes cutting, sewing

2 matching nightstands: 2 used nightstands $25/each,
partial quart black paint that my brother-in-law let me use for free

Decorative Throw Pillows (only 1 pictured): About 20 minutes total, the rest of the drapes, 2 old flattened king-sized pillows

King-sized Shams: About 2 hours, more fabric remnants from the quilt

Rocking Chair: moved from a different part of the house where it wasn't being used

Headboard: $30 for used headboard, $.66 for nuts to attach to our frame

Paint: $30 Wal-mart paint. I know it's not the best quality,
 but I'm really banking on kids not going into my oasis anymore... so far so good!

Lamp: $1 from Walmart with a K-mart a coupon, score!

Total spent: $117.66

And the best part is that my family didn't even notice that I was spending less on groceries last month so no complaints! I still have a few finishing touches to put together.. like art on the walls and some picture frames, etc, but for now I can relax just a little bit.
Well, that is if I didn't have kids. I thought just for kicks I'd add a picture of what happens to the rest of the house while you are painting... fun stuff. This was my 2-year-old's (well almost 2) attempt at getting herself a "snack". Pretty ambitious. Note to self: Put away the cereal after breakfast and move the milk to a higher shelf in the refrigerator!

2 comments:

Amberly said...

Looks good! If you want a nice vinyl saying to go on your wall, let me know and I will send you one!

Jenn said...

It turned out really cute! And I love the incidents that occur while you are busy on other projects!!