Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chili Rellenos Casserole

 I've been harvesting the last of my garden peppers this week and the other day I brought in an entire grocery bag full of yummy chile peppers! Not wanting to can anymore, I've been dropping them into my Garden-Style Red Chili, into my Vita-mix tomato juice and into just about all my homemade sauces. I also turned more than a dozen into this:

Chili Rellenos Casserole

10 roasted large green chili peppers*
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, sliced
8 ounces Cheddar/Jack cheese, shredded
3 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons flour (I used whole wheat)
1 cup milk
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 cup enchilada sauce


Directions:

Prep: To roast chili peppers, wash thoroughly and lay in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Broil on high for 8-10 minutes until skin is slightly browned and blistered. Turn peppers and broil an additional 8 minutes. Or you can roast peppers on an outdoor grill at about 400 F laying peppers in a single layer across grill and reducing time by 1-2 minutes per side. Allow to cool until skin pulls away from meat easily. Use rubber gloves to peel and remove seeds. Cut peppers along sides so peppers lay flat.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Lay half of the chilies evenly in bottom of baking dish.

Lay the sliced Jack cheese over the chilies, and cover with remaining chilies.
In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, flour, and seasonings and pour over the top of the chilies. Mixture will be runny- don't worry, it will firm as it cooks.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, pour enchilada sauce evenly over the top, sprinkle with remaining Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and continue baking another 15 minutes. Serve with Spanish rice and refried beans.

*I used Anaheim chilies from my garden. You can use any kind of chile you'd like. I even roasted one bell pepper for my girls and used that for their servings (they don't like ANY spice). You can also substitute whole canned chilies.

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

For the easiest peeling- stuff hot, roasted peppers into a ziploc or a paper bag while hot and let those peppers sit until they are cool.

Just a little tip :)

Sounds delicious!