Monday, October 18, 2010

Cream Cheese Garlic Mashed Potatoes


Everybody who knows my family knows what we're eating on Sunday night. Roast. Potatoes. Gravy... In fact, I think I can count on one hand how many times we've had something other than that since Mike and I have been married! Don't get me wrong, it's good... but for somebody who barely eats meat at all, a roast every Sunday is a bit extreme. So for me, Sunday Dinner is ALL about the sides.  These mashed potatoes are delicious and I do love potatoes. Gravy is totally optional here as the potatoes themselves have plenty of flavor on their own.


Cream Cheese Garlic Mashed Potatoes

2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, washed and UNpeeled
1 tsp sea salt
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup milk
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp dry parsley
2 Tbsp chopped chives (you can use green onions if you don't have chives)
1 tsp black pepper

Chop potatoes into small chunks and add to a large pot. Fill pot with water just until potatoes are barely covered. Sprinkle salt into pot and cook on high until water is boiling. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove potatoes from water and place in a large mixing bowl. (Save water for gravy if you are planning to make some.)
To potatoes add cream cheese, milk and seasonings. Mash potatoes with a potatoe masher or with an electric beater on low. Add more milk (by the tablespoon) if you like a thinner consistency. You can also add more salt at this point, but taste it first. I find that it usually doesn't need it with all the other yummy flavors!

1 comment:

Traccie said...

Your recipe is much like mine, excpet I roast a bulb of garlic in the oven, instead of using minced garlic.