Monday, April 18, 2011

Quavish- Portugese Kale Soup

I am so far behind on my recipe blogging! Life has a way of coming along all at once and knocking people right over. I promise I've still been cooking- but I've neglected to put myself out there and try anything new for a while. Mundane and routine sometimes is a great comfort for me...
This was something I cooked a few weeks ago when we got kale from our Bountiful Basket. While not the most photogenic soup, it is definitely one of the most flavorful! It combines the bold flavor of kale with creamy cooked potatoes and garlic infused Portuguese sausage called Linguiça. While substitutions may be made for this hard to get sausage (at least in my area) I wouldn't recommend it. And if you do substitute - do me a favor and just don't call it "Quavish", k?

Quavish Soup  
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
4 carrots, sliced
5 potatoes, cut into chunks
1 head cabbage, cut into large chunks
2 lbs Linguiça, sliced
1 bunch kale, chopped
2 large onions
6 cups beef stock 
1 heaping tsp. black pepper 
3 bay leaves 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
I've also added: 
1/2 cup diced turnips or
3-4 sliced parsnips

In a large stock pot (very large), heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, turnips and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the Linguiça, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and mix well. Add the beef stock and cook at a low boil for about 30 minutes. Add the cabbage, kale and potatoes. (Add water if necessary to cover all the vegetables.) Bring the soup to a low boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
Remove the bay leaves and serve hot. Serve with homemade bread or hard crusty rolls.

**This recipe makes enough soup for a large family gathering- you can always reduce it by half or just do what I do and freeze what you can't eat all at once and save it for later. Add cooled soup to a large zip-top freezer bag. To reheat simply run hot water over the bag to loosen it then slip contents into a large slow-cooker and cook on LOW until heated through.

***You can also combine ALL of the above ingredients into a large electric roaster pan. Simmer 2-3 hours stirring occasionally.

2 comments:

Traccie said...

Yay! I am glad to see you post agian. What did you do with your chayote squash from Bountiful baskets?

Sheryl said...

I grilled some with our foil dinners last week- meh. So then I diced them and sauteed them into some Spanish rice and that was yummy!