Monday, May 31, 2010

Camping Fare: Graham Crackers, Granola Bars, Pancakes

We went camping for 2 nights out in Cave Lake State Park, Nevada. We totally roughed it- didn't even camp in a campground with bathrooms and picnic tables. The kids had a blast! Me? Not so much... but it was fun to watch them have fun so it was worth it. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have (I was too busy trying to keep warm in the snow.. brrr!) but here's what I have:
Thursday before we left I borrowed my friend's wheat grinder and ground some of my wheat. I also ground some corn and some brown rice (for later). So with my freshly ground wheat I made some graham crackers and some granola bars for the trip.

Graham Crackers

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp molasses (or dark corn syrup)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk

Combine flour with brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix oil, honey, molasses, vamilla and milk in a measuring cup or bowl. Add liquid ingredients to the dry mixture. Mix well. Use your hands to finish mixing. If dough is too sticky, add more flour 1/4 cup at a time. If dough is too dry, add more milk 1 Tbsp at a time. Form dough into a ball. Preheat oven to 300. Divide dough in half. Roll dough directly onto greased cookie sheets to cover the entire sheet. Use a small pizza cutter to cut dough into 2 inch squares. Do not separate. Prick the surface with a fork. Bake 20 miuntes or until edges are slightly browned. Remove from oven and let crackers cool before removing from cookie sheet. Store up to 3 weeks in airtight container. Makes 2-3 dozen.

Granola Bars
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/4 cup crispy rice cereal
1 cup chocolate chips*
In a large bowl, cream sugars and butter until fluffy. Add honey, vanilla and egg. Mix well. Blend in flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients. Press firmly into the bottom of a grease 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Bars will firm as they stand. Cool and cut into bars. Makes 24 bars.
*I used some Craisins that I had bought last month. You can sub chocolate chips with: 1 cup coconut, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup nuts, 1 cup raisins, 1/2 cup fruit preserves (or any combination)
I doubled this recipe so we had enough for our trip and for some daily snacks for the kids.

For our first camping breakfast, I pre-cooked some pancakes to take along with us. I wrapped them in aluminum foil with some butter and re-heated them in the fire. We topped them with some syrup that I brought along. They're also excellent with apple sauce on top.
Blender Pancakes
1 cup milk
1 cup whole wheat berries*
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp honey

Put milk and wheat into blender & blend on highest setting for 4-5 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and blend on low speed. Pour 1/4 cup fulls onto pre-heated 375 griddle. Cook until edges dry out and top is bubbly, turn and cook another 20 seconds on second side.
*If you soak wheat berries overnight (about 12 hours) before making this recipe, I've found that it's much easier to process in your blender.

For our first lunch we had hotdogs wrapped in the home-made buns I made earlier in the week. (I kept them in the freezer to keep them fresh).
Also, I bought a 2 lb block of mozzarella cheese at Costco for $2/lb. I sliced about half of it up into sticks for a cheap version of "string" cheese.

And for dinner #2 we had planned steak, dutch oven potatoes, and peach cobbler. Well- we didn't actually get to the cobbler. The kids all fell asleep so I ended up making the cobbler when we got home instead. The family demanded it!

The last morning of a campout is some of the best eating in my opinion. Eggs! We always save the leftovers from the previous nights in the cooler and mix it all up with some eggs on the last day. SO GOOD! Again, you can do this in the dutch oven.

2 comments:

Miss Melanie said...

For the graham crackers have you ever used honey/molasses instead of sugar? We don't use white foods in our home very often. (grin) I love lots of your recipes and can't wait to try them! By the way, I am your cousin. (smile)

Sheryl said...

Melanie, a good way to cut out the sugar in a LOT of recipes is to substitute half of it for dry milk or brown rice flour. This is to substitute volume. Then add sweeteners such as Stevia if you wish. As for honey or molasses instead of sugar, just reduce the total liquid in the recipe or add a couple extra tablespoons of flour.