Sunday, May 30, 2010

Roast Beef Sandwiches, Beef Stew, Shredded Beef

Remember when I said I bought 16 lbs of beef? Well, it was actually 6 Crossrib chuck roasts. Here's what I did with them:
I knew there were a few meals that I'd be using these roasts for this month, so to simplify things, I just prepped each roast for a meal as I put it away last week.  


This one was cut up for beef stew. This makes it a whole lot easier when you're camping. I added some simple marinade to the bag as well before I put it away. I just added 1/4 cup Soy sauce and 1/4 cup balsamic vingar as well as 1 tbsp parsley and 1 tsp black pepper.This roast I actually refrigerated and cooked along with the roasts for Sunday dinner. Except when this one was finished I let it cool and sliced it up for sandwiches. This is what I've been sending with my hubby in his lunch. I again used the above marinade on this roast as well: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tsp black pepper.
Just my little plug again for saving the broth after you've cooked your roast. It makes an awesome soup base or gravy for another meal. Freeze it!
And this roast I quartered and seasoned for shredded beef. This will give us 2-3 meals worth of shredded beef type meals sometime this month.

Shredded Beef
2 1/2 - 3 lb chuck roast
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp red chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup salsa
1/2 onion, chopped
Cut roast into quarters. Combine seasoning and rub all over each piece of meat. (At this point you can freeze the seasoned meat, which I did- or continue.) Add meat to large slow-cooker along with salsa and onion if desired. Cook on LOW 7 hours. Remove beef pieces and shred with a fork. Return to slow-cooker and cook an additional 2-3 hours. Serve on tortillas with lettuce, tomato, and fresh salsa.
Lastly- we enjoyed the beef stew this weekend while camping. YUM! Really hit the spot as we ate it while huddled under blankets watching the snow fall around us...yes.. we were able to enjoy snow this Memorial Day weekend. Aren't we lucky?!

Easy Beef Stew

1 1/2 lb seasoned stew meat
4 cups brown gravy (I used some from my freezer- saved from a previous roast dinner)
2 cups peeled and chopped carrots
1 large green bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 onion, cut into chunks
5 potatoes, cut into chunks

Combine ingredients in 5 qt Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until potatoes and carrots are tender. We ate this while camping, so I pre-cut all the meat and vegetables at home. Made for a super-easy campout meal!


No comments: