Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Garden Veggie Quiche & Berry Yogurt Smoothie

It was a nice warm day today. After working in the yard all morning, nothing sounded better than a yummy smoothie for lunch. Mmmm. We rounded it out with a few of the mini muffins that were in the freezer from Saturday. Perfect! By the way- you've probably all seen the "Smoothie kits" in the store... this is basically what's in those kits but about 1/4 of the price. (Costco has good prices on their frozen berries right now.)

Berry Yogurt Smoothie

2/3 cup plain yogurt
2 cups frozen berries
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp honey

Blend until smooth. Enjoy!

I was actually planning to have stuffed peppers today for dinner, but I got a coupon in the mail today with a picture of a quiche on it... It sounded so good that I changed my plans for dinner!

Garden Vegetable quiche
6 cups hashbrowns (I shredded 10 small potatoes- should have shredded 8)
2/3 cup melted butter
8 eggs
1 cup milk
1 small zucchini
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup chopped chives (or use green onions- they're cheaper if you don't have a garden)
1 roma tomato- chopped
1/2 lb shredded cheddar cheese

Press the hashbrowns into two 9-in pie plates all over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Drizzle 1/2 melted butter over each pie dish. Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes. In the meantime, chop vegetables and shred cheese. Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium bowl. When potato crust is finished, sprinkle a layer of cheese along the bottom of each shell. Then layer vegetables. Pour egg mixture over the top and sprinkle cheese over the top of each quiche. Return pie plates to oven for another 25 minutes until egg is firm.

And what did I do with the extra hashbrowns that I shredded? Uh.. I cooked them while my "crust" was baking and I ate them of course. Yum!

No comments: