Friday, May 21, 2010

Revised Shopping List

I tried to keep my grocery list as basic as possible this month. Next month I’ll be able to buy a few extras and expand my pantry a bit because there are a lot of things on this list that I won’t have to buy every month. Like my flour, wheat, honey, baking powder, etc.. The goal is to buy a little bit more than I’ll need for as many items as possible so that next month I can stock up on other things.. This way I can gradually build up my pantry/food storage.






I also made a list of things that I’ll be using from my pantry this month that I won’t be replacing. These items will be a priority next month: sugar, condiments, tuna fish, peanut butter, jelly, canned tomatoes, canned beans. Other things like Stuffing mix and cream soups I can make myself with some of the basics I’m buying this month, so I’ll only add those if they’re a great deal.

Now.. The other thing I need to do with my list is PRIORITIZE! I can’t afford everything that I want to buy so I’ll have to make some cuts…
 
 
 

I’ve decided to cut the cheddar in half - 10 lbs was hopefully enough to carry over into next month anyway. Also we’ll have to do without the Parmesan- Mozzarella is cheaper anyway and should be enough. Also we’ll get less cottage cheese. For the deli meat, I’m going to just buy a big roast and slice my own “lunch meat”. Good quality meat (with nothing added) sliced from the deli is a GOOD price at $4/lb.. whereas I can buy a roast for $2/lb.. we can also do without the sausage and we’ll use less meat in our meals. I suspected we’d probably have to skip the chips this month.. I still need to find something else for hubby’s lunch instead.. And the flax seed will have to wait until next month. (I do have about 1 cup leftover from last month anyway.. I’ll just have to skip putting it into my smoothies.) I cut syrup because I have enough sugar still in the pantry to make my own syrup this month. I’ve added sugar to my priorities next month though… Also I added a few cans of tomatoes and beans to my list since I did find them on a good sale this week. I can't afford to buy them by the case at this point, but it's still nice to get what I can!
I'll post later tonight with what I actually ended up with at the store. Hopefully prices have gone down instead of up for some of the things on my list!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Since you have noodles on your list I am assuming you use all the ones you bought a year ago?! I still have at least 100 pounds because I ended up keeping my parents and not cooking for over 9 months! There is my way of having a years worth of food storage and being able to buy drugs that are $40!