Monday, June 07, 2010

Rhubarb Pie

My next door neighbors gave me an armfull of rhubarb yesterday evening so I decided to make some rhubarb pie today. To be fair, I made an extra pie for them as well! I usually add another fruit to my rhubarb pie, but since the birds have been feasting on my strawberries this year instead of me I decided to give plain ol' rhubarb a chance. It was fantastic!
Rhubarb Pie

4 cups diced rhubarb

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 recipe pie crust*
Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup oats
1/2 cup sugar

Pre-heat oven to 425 F. Combine diced rhubarb, sugar & flour in large bowl. Mix well. Pour into prepared pie crust. Combine dry ingredients for topping in bowl. Add butter & cut in with a fork or pastry knife until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of rhubarb mixture in pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 F. Cover crust with aluminum foil (shiny side down). Bake an additional 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool 15 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

Pie Crust

1 ½ cup flour½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp sugar
½ cup oil
2 Tbsp cold milk

Combine dry ingredients. Add oil and milk and mix until crumbly. Press into pie tin (don’t roll out or it will be chewy instead of flaky). Use half dough for the bottom of the crust and the other half for the sides. Flute edges if desired. At this point you can freeze the crust for later use, fill crust for baked pies or Bake 10 minutes at 400 for creme-type pies. Allow to cool and add pie filling.


No comments: