Thursday, June 24, 2010

Vegetarian fajitas


My diet has been going well. So far I've lost the 3 of the extra 4 pounds I gained last month. And also I haven't spent very much of my grocery budget. I'm thinking maybe I'll be able to stay under my $250 afterall. I've been using some of the extra food that I cooked last month. For example, I used my veggie burgers in my vegetarian fajitas I cooked last night as well as a bell pepper that my neighbor paid me back with. (I gave her a pepper last month so she brought one to me this month!) The cilantro came from my garden. Also the ingredients for the tortillas and the sauce all came from my pantry so the only groceries I used that I had to buy this month were the onions and tomatoes.

Fajitas

1 1/2 large bell pepper sliced thin
1 large onion sliced thin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 minced garlic clove
2-3 veggie burger patties, sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tomato, diced

Add olive oil to large fry-pan. Allow to heat to medium hot. Add pepper and onion.You can add 1/4 cup water if needed to keep vegetables from sticking to the pan. When onions are tender add tomatoes and seasonings. Allow mixture to boil about 5 minutes for sauce to thicken. Add sliced veggie burgers last and stir just until warmed. Serve over warm tortillas. Garnish with chopped lettuce, cilantro, fresh tomato, cheese, salsa and sour cream if desired.


Sliced veggie burger- ready to add to the vegetables and seasonings.

No comments: