Thursday, June 24, 2010

Whole Grain Tortillas

Remember the multi-grain baking mix I made a few days ago? Well, I used that to make these multi-grain tortillas. My standard tortilla recipe is great for flour tortillas but I've found that when I use whole wheat instead of white flour for that recipe, the tortillas turn out a bit bland. This recipe solves the problem.

Whole Grain Tortillas
1 cup whole wheat flour, finely ground
1 cup multi-grain baking mix
1/2 cup water

In a medium sized bowl, combine 1/2 cups flour, baking mix and water. Add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Return dough to bowl and let rest 30 minutes. After dough has rested, shape into 8 balls and roll out flat and thin (about 1/8 inch). Cook on hot griddle about 15 seconds, flip and cook 5-10 seconds more.

No comments: