Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Spinache Noodles/Raviolis, Marinara Sauce

Yesterday I was working in the garden until 6 o'clock without even thinking about dinner. When it finally dawned on me that my family might be getting hungry I hurried inside & cooked up the spinache raviolis that I made last week. (They've been in the freezer.) It made for a quick dinner- on the table in less than 30 minutes which is good since we were starting so late. So as promised, here's how I made the spinache noodles:

If you're lucky enough to have lots of spinache in the garden, pick & wash about 1 lb. If not, I think Costco has the best buy when you want lots of spinache. I used enough to fill my 5 qt pot . Add about 1 cup water to your spinache and allow to cook until spinache is limp & tender. Drain spinache and add to blender along with 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt. Blend until smooth then pour into a large bowl. Add enough flour to make a stiff dough. I used about 4 cups- this will vary depending on how dry you were able to get your spinache.

Allow dough to rest (in a covered bowl) for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle flour over a clean surface and roll the dough thin (about 1/8 in.). You may need to roll 1/2 at a time. Cut into desired shapes.Add to boiling water & cook for 7 minutes or lay flat on a cookie sheet to freeze for later. If you're making raviolis, Cut nice wide rectangular noodles. Fill half the noodle with cheese and your choice of vegetables and/or meat. I used spinache and mozzarella cheese with some fresh basil from the garden. Dip your finger in a cup of water & rub the edges of the noodle before closing. Press edges together with a fork to seal completely. Of course, if you are lucky enough to have a ravioli press.. just follow those instructions. One of these days I'll get one. Along with a full-sized rolling pin... But for now I make do!

Easy Marinara Sauce
32 oz plain tomato sauce
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes, plain or Italian style
*1 cup diced zucchini (optional)
1/4 cup diced onions
2 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbsp Italian seasoning.

Combine tomatoes, onions, zucchini and sauce in medium saucepan. Heat to boiling and then simmer at least 10 minutes to thicken. Add garlic and seasonings. Cook another 5 minutes. Serve over hot noodles or Chicken Parmesan. *you can also add diced carrots, mushrooms and/or peppers.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yummy! So, do you give lessons? I will buy the food and you come over and teach me? I am a visual learner :)

Suzanne said...

Girl you've got skills...making your own pasta!!