Friday, July 16, 2010

Another Payday...

Ok, so this post may not have much to do with food, but it goes along with this month's plan. Today is payday again and of course, I'm changing how we do our food budget... again. Here's why:
Believe it or not, this is my bedroom. Looks cozy, right? I happen to be married to a man who is in love with white and simplicity. Why paint when we'd just have to paint again in 8-9 years? Why buy new furniture when we have a a perfectly functional 1970's dilapidated ugly old dresser.. and who needs a headboard anyway? It does nothing for the functionality of the bed. Grrr! I don't hate anything or anybody in this life. I really don't.. but I'd have to say I'm pretty darn close to absolutely hating my room. It took me almost 6 years to finally get paint in our kitchen and livingroom. The rest of the house is still stark white... Most people would assume we're renting the place! So this month I'm determined to change things. I want our bedroom to be a retreat. A place where I can unwind without kids or toys. I want a grown-up room because, well, I'm a grown-up! ... right?
Now here's the dilemma. We already have a few projects on our plate and most of our extra money is spoken for. My poor husband is probably feeling overwhelmed with all the things I want him to get done around here. I want a fence. I want our basement finished. I want to plant more trees. I want to expand our garden. Yes, I know how this sounds. I want, I want, I want... Is it right to add one more thing to the list? Probably not. So here's the plan: I'll do it myself. And as for the money? Well, I'm going to practice living almost completely off of our food storage for a month. I'll use most of our grocery budget this month to try to improve our space. I don't know how far it will go. I have a few thrifty projects in mind to help things along so I can get as much done with as little money as possible.
As for this blog- I don't know how often I will have a chance to keep it updated. I will still try to add posts as often as possible, but I'm sure I'll be pretty busy with my little project this month. When I do update my blog, most likely you'll see plenty of food-storage type recipes. I will be using my garden this month and I plan to buy some fresh produce to go along with the food storage too.
So.. here we go! I'll post pictures along the way of my progess in the bedroom too. Good luck to me.

P.S. I haven't told Mike about this yet... I'm thinking I'll just let it be a surprise. That way he can't say no, right? hehe. So everybody Shhhh! Also any thrifty decorating tips would be more than welcome. Thank you, that is all.

1 comment:

19bkwrm79 said...

That's such a great idea Sheryl. Don't feel bad though - my bedroom is about as bare as yours. We have,however, painted the entire upstairs.