Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Where does all the money go?

Surprisingly, it hasn’t cost me a whole lot to eat healthy. As it turns out, I had almost everything that I needed to eat right in my food storage already. And while I haven’t been the picture of perfect healthy cooking, so far this month I have managed to cut added fat and incorporate whole grains and vegetables into almost every meal. I admit, I have been using food storage this month to supplement our grocery budget, but I’ve also been able to stock up on a few things we’ll use down the road as well, so hopefully it will all even out.
Some of the things that I’ve been using or will use from food storage this month are: whole grains, pasta, cereal, chips, apple juice, hamburger, ground turkey, chicken, oil and spices. Some things that I’ve added to our storage include: tuna fish, canned beans, toilet paper, chips, ketchup, hot dogs, flour, and olive oil. I’ve also packaged and frozen several quarts of various fruits and vegetables from the surplus in our Bountiful Baskets.

This is a breakdown of where our money has gone so far this month in regard to groceries:

Bountiful Baskets x3 = $50
Bountiful Basket add-ons (including Italian pack and ½ case of peaches) = $20
Other Produce (including onions, celery, peppers, potatoes, corn, watermelon) = $25
Dairy (eggs, milk, butter, sour cream, cottage cheese, plain yogurt) = $36.50
Meat (Rib-eye Steaks, Deli-meat) = $19.50
Grains (25lb bag of bread flour) = $6
Other (Olive Oil, Orange Juice) = $20
Non-Consumables (diapers, toilet paper, deodorant) = $36
Sales = $23
(Tuna Fish $.28/can x 16 = $4.50; Pork & Beans $.28 x 10 = $2.80; Chips $.98/bag x10 = $9.80; Ketchup $.78/bottle x2 = $1.56; HotDogs $.28/package x8 = $2.24)

That leaves me with a whopping $14! But we've got a refrigerator full of food including 3 gallons of milk and 1 1/2 dozen eggs. I shouldn't have to go to the store again unless I want to.
And just a note about the "Non-cunsumables." This month I've only had to buy toilet paper, diapers and deordorant. I found the toilet paper on an amazing sale and used some coupons so I was able to buy enough for the next three months for only $10. This is for the good stuff.. not the fall apart, eew gross variety.
I try to space out my non-food items so that I only have to buy 1-2 things each month. This way I can stay within my budget. Diapers are my flex item. If I have a lot of other things to buy, I will use cloth diapers and wipes that month to stretch my grocery dollar. These are not my favorite months... but in the end it's worth it... to me anyway! I'm also extremely lucky that we don't use as many diapers anymore now that my almost-two-year-old is learning to go potty. This makes it a lot easier to sneak disposable diapers into my cart without a huge impact on my wallet.

No comments: