Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Crepes, Breakfast

I actually made these last month but never got around to adding the post.. so here it is!


I grew up with crepes. Every birthday, mine or my siblings, was almost always kicked off with a humongous crepe breakfast cooked up by my dad. Also whenever we had friends sleep over he'd make crepes as a special treat... which between 8 kids was just about every Saturday! So of course I had to master the crepe art myself. These little babies are so versatile. You can make them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizers, etc.. and they are always delicious. If made right anyway. Which I've come to find out that a LOT of people are skeptical about how easy they are to make. You can even buy pre-made crepes which I giggle at but I'm not surprised. I mean, there's even pre-made Peanut Butter & Jelly these days, right? The most difficult thing about crepes is the pour and the timing so I've included a video to demonstrate the proper way to make a crepe. Enjoy!

Breakfast Crepes
2 cups flour
6 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (I always use almond)
1/3 cup melted butter or oil (I usually use olive)

1. Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, flour and salt and mix until smooth. Mixture will be fairly thick at this point. Add milk and extract. Whisk vigorously until smooth. Add oil. Mix again. Drop by 1/4 cup into pre-heated hot pans. Cook each crepe about 10 seconds. Flip and cook an additional 5-10 seconds. Repeat. Serve warm with fresh fruit or syrup rolled into the center of each crepe. My favorite toppings include: fresh berries with vanilla yogurt, applesauce, mandarin oranges. Feel free to use whatever is your favorite!



1 comment:

19bkwrm79 said...

I totally remember having crepes at your house whenever I stayed the night. Ahhh the memories.