Friday, July 23, 2010

Bedroom Progress

OK, so the cat is out of the bag. I'm worthless when it comes to keeping secrets.. which I guess is a good thing as far as marriage goes, right? The first thing that Mike told me when I disclosed my refurbishing plans with him? "No your not." hahaha! See, the thing you have to understand about my honey is that he despises do-it-yourself-Home-Depot style furniture and decor. And while I always strive to do my best, sometimes I fall a bit short of professional. Just sometimes though. ;) He likes a clean, professional look. Wood should be stained, not painted. Walls should only be painted by a licensed professional. Etc, etc. Lucky for me though, Mike's a good guy and is allowing me to indulge in my divine design dreams. He even offered to buy us some brand new furniture (I think in an attempt to avoid the second-hand-Other-Man's-Trash look). But I wanted to try my hand at this design stuff so I'm plowing ahead without new things. I figure if it turns out awful, I can always sell it to somebody else, right?
I have an old set of drapes that have been floating around my house for a couple of years so I played with the idea of an apholstered headboard. I even taped it to the wall to see how it would look. It's this picture that made me decide our bedspread has got to go. It's a little too grandma for my taste. So I went fabric shopping for a new quilt..
Quilts are awesome because it allows you to use up some scraps. I didn't have quite enough laying around so, yes, I bought more scraps. But this is seriously the cheapest way to buy fabric. A friend of mine also gave me some of her extra fabric that matched my color scheme (thank you!) and I even cut up an old sheet to make up the difference. Ever stop to think about how much fabric goes into a king-sized quilt? A: Lots!

I was lucky enough to find the perfect headboard for a mere $30 in our local classifieds. Yay! Turns out all I'll need to make it work for our room is some touchup markers (for the wood) and a couple of screws. Cheaper than my fabric headboard idea even with free fabric and free plywood.

And I even found some nightstands, also in good condition, for $25 a piece. I haven't decided yet if I will paint them. I know Mike hates that idea, but I've always wanted to try it...

Anyway, so far I have spent $86 on bedroom improvements and the only thing left to buy is paint. I think... But now to get to work and make it all function in our space. Wish me luck!

Oh, and by the way... since this is a food blog... Payday was actually last Friday, but I've been holding out going to the grocery store until I had to. My man's gotta have his orange juice, afterall. This month's grocery list is SO short! Here's what's on the list this month:
orange juice
ziplock freezer bags
short-grain rice
Cheerios
Bountiful Basket x2
salt for the water softener
The rest of our "groceries" will come from our freezers and food storage this month. In fact, I can probably live off of my pantry and kitchen freezer alone this month so it will be good to use some things up. I have several prepared meals, leftovers, mixes, side dishes and more all waiting to be used. I figure this will be good practice for me. We can always use practice when it comes to using our food storage, right?

1 comment:

April said...

Way to go Sheryl! I can't wait to see it when you are finished! My Mom is the queen of decorated on a budget. She helped make three curtains and rods to size 3 of my windows. Now our last project in progress as we speak is the walk door getting framed in. Anyway, when we were poor college students we had no furniture so we use a box for an end table and covered it with a spare sheet. Good Luck!