Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Larb (similar to Chinese chicken wraps)


I LOVE Thai food. It's one of my favorite things. In fact when my hubby and I got out he has to wrestle me to get me to go anywhere other than my favorite Thai Village. Yum! Unfortunately, I can't go there every day so I've been experimenting with my own Larb (pronounced Lob) which is a Thai Salad. I don't know whether to call this recipe Larb yet.. it's not quite there. But it was still a hit at our family barbecue tonight.
Filling
1 large carrot, shredded
1/4 cup diced chives, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 hot banana pepper, diced
zest of one lime
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 lb ground turkey or chicken
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp sesame oil

Chop all vegetables. Preheat large skillet to medium high heat. Add oil and meat and cook until no longer pink. (Meanwhile make sauce.) When meat is cooked, add vegetables and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Pour sauce over all and chill. Serve cold over a bed of lettuce. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp (or to taste) green curry paste
2 Tbsp Agave (or honey)
juice from one lime
1 large garlice clove, minced
soy sauce or aminos to taste

In a small pan combine ingredients. Cook on medium heat to incorporate flavors. About 2-3 minutes. Set aside to pour over filling. Can make a double batch and serve some on the side with your salad.

No comments: